Cyclist as a designer
- The extensive development of the Lahti city centre (2011–2016) will provide an unprecedented opportunity to increase the attractiveness and human orientation of the city centre.
- Lahti’s strategic objective: to favour pedestrians and cyclists in cases of traffic-related disputes.
- 14 % of all travels within the city (yr 2010) is done by bicycle. Lahti aims to double the amount by 2017.
- User-oriented planning: Residents of the City of Lahti – the cyclists – will be given an active role in the urban design process, planning the usability of the urban space.
- A speciale design jury (called Lahen D) consisting of city residents will be utilised in designing city bikes and elegant covered bike parks.
- A bike park resulting from this new type of co-operation will be seen in the cityscape of Lahti in 2012, the WDC year.
The WDC 2012 pilot project of Lahti Administrative Affairs and Municipal Engineering aim to increase the attractiveness of cycling as a means of transport and to create new urban development tools that support involvement.
Saara Vauramo, Development Manager
Lahti Adiministrative Affairs, GreenCity program
Riitta Niskanen, Project Manager
Lahti Technical and Environmental Services, Municipal Engineering, Development of City Centre
Unto Räty, Traffic Engineer
Lahti Technical and Environmental Services, Municipal Engineering, Bicycle Working Group