GreenCity program (2010-2013) basis on Lahti 2025 strategy, which aims to develop Lahti towards "vital, attractive and environment-oriented city". Lahti 2025 strategy objects:
- Develop the attractiveness of the city centre and living environments using the environment and design focus in the planning process
- Ensure Lahti’s rapid growth, especially with attraction of working age people and families with children
- Halve Lahti's greenhouse gas emissions from the 1990 level (Kyoto protocol) by 2025
- Promote low-energy and ecological construction and housing, as well as related development and business
- Prevent social exclusion and accumulation of underprivilegedness
- Develop a customer-focused and efficient service system
Download the newly (2011) updated Lahti 2025 strategy (pdf).
GreenCity program builds also on GreenCity Aalborg Commitments, which Lahti signed in 2007. Over 650 local governments across the globe have so far (08/2011) signed the Aalborg Commitments. Dowload the Status of Sustainability report (2009), a baseline review of Aalborg Commitments (pdf).
The regional Competitiveness and Business strategy was updated during the autumn 2011.